Fennville District Library
Patron Code of Conduct
The Fennville District Library seeks to provide quality library service to all patrons. The following code of conduct has been adopted for the comfort and protection of the rights of all those using and working in the Fennville District Library. The library staff will enforce this code in a courteous but firm manner. We ask your cooperation in helping us provide a safe and pleasant environment for all our patrons and staff.
A. Unacceptable behavior is not permitted. Unacceptable behavior includes, but is not limited to:
1. Engaging in loud or boisterous talking or conduct
2. Issuing physical or verbal threats or abuse to library patrons or staff
3. Running and roaming
4. Uttering abusive or foul language
5. Abusing or misusing Library furnishings, equipment or materials
6. Congregating in or around parking lots, entrances, or stairways, inside or out
7. Using rollerblades or skateboards on library property
8. Committing an illegal or unauthorized act on Library property against the patrons, personnel or property of the Library, i.e., theft, trespass, assault, arson, etc.
9. Failing to return Library materials in a timely manner or pay fines or proper Library costs when due
10. Being under the influence or use of alcohol or mood-altering drugs on library property
11. Entering or remaining within the Library building without proper attire (including, but not limited to, wearing a shirt and shoes)
12. Engaging in illegal lewd or sexual conduct
13. Sleeping for extended periods of time (longer than 10 minutes)
14. Interfering with patrons or staff due to lack of personal hygiene
B. The following actions or activities are not permitted:
1. Soliciting of any kind
2. Smoking within the Library building
3. Eating or drinking, except in designated areas
5. Carrying weapons concealed or otherwise, except as permitted by law.
6. Possessing alcoholic beverages or illegal drugs.
7. Playing of audio devices unless using headphones at a level so as not to disturb other patrons
8. Engaging in cell phone conversations
9. Photographing or distributing images of other Library patrons or staff.
10. Leaving young children unattended anywhere in the library or on the library property.
11. More than 2 people per computer.
Violation of any of the above rules will result in the following action
1. The offender will be given one verbal warning.
2. If the violation continues, the offender will be instructed to leave and will not be permitted access to the library for a period of one (1) week.
3. If the offender refuses to leave, the police will be called to remove him/her, and the offender will not be permitted access to the library for a period of one (1) month.
4. If any person who has received a month suspension again violates any of the above rules, he/she will be barred from the library building and property for a period of one (1) year.
5. Chronic offenders (those who are asked to leave the premises on three separate occasions within a six (6) month period will be barred from the library building and property from one (1) year.
6. Notice of suspension will be mailed and/or delivered by police officers to the last known address of the patron or, in the case of a minor child, his parents or guardians.
Approved by the Fennville District Library Board of Trustees, 3/19/2009
FOIA - July 1, 2015
1 - Freedom Of Information Act Policy Resolution
2 - Freedom Of Information Act Procedures And Guidelines
3 - Freedom Of Information Act Written Public Summary
4 - Freedom Of Information Act Forms